Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Difference Between Promoting and Bragging

For a few days last month, Chemistry With The Billionaire, hit the All Romance Ebooks bestseller list as well as Amazon's top 100 bestseller list.  Evernight Publishing was gracious enough to tweet the news, and of course, I'm thrilled by the success of the story.

However, I felt uncomfortable tweeting or emailing the news myself.  I know other authors do it, and I celebrate their success when I receive the emails or read the tweets, yet I can't bring myself to do it too.  I realize making the bestseller lists is a great marketing and promotional tool, but to me, it feels too much like bragging.  Yes, making the bestseller list is a great accomplishment, but I guess I'm scared if I send out a tweet or email touting the news, I might be jeopardizing my future success.  I'm superstitious enough to believe that if you get too happy or high on one success, the wheel of fortune might bypass you for more achievements.  Irrational, I know, but that's what keeps me from sending out self congratulatory emails and tweets.  I'm probably passing up some great promotional and marketing opportunities, but I suppose I need to get a little more comfortable with the idea of 'tooting my own horn' before I actually start doing it.

2 comments:

  1. OR how about don't think of it as crowing, but pride in work well done and being appreciated by fans, colleagues and publishers alike. I say shout, my friend. And if you won't I will for you! :D LOL Congratulations!
    Its success well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend! It will take some effort to overcome my superstitions but I'll try to work on it. And congrats on your success too! I can't wait to read "If You Can't Stand the Heat," it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete