Thursday, May 2, 2013

What's in a name?

I'm working on an outline for a novel and in creating one of my main characters, I realized I didn't like her name.  The character is the leader of her social set, very powerful in terms of the people who run in those social circles.  I've been calling her 'Teresa' after a girl who used to bully me in grade school, and this character is definitely a bully.  But in fleshing out the characters a little more, I'm finding 'Teresa' doesn't work for me, I need something more threatening, like a 'Scarlett O'Hara' or a 'Victoria Grayson.'  Ultimately though, I know the name won't matter as much as how I write the character and portray her.  Her name could be Bitchy McWitchy and it still won't be an engaging character if I don't write her in an engaging way.  Still, I'm going to find something that excites me a little more than 'Teresa.'

No comments:

Post a Comment